Wednesday 28 August 2013

Solent Sketches [VPRA]

I have decided to cross-post everything I post on the VPRA blog to this blog in order to make things easier to follow, and in order to make the VPRA more of, well, an archive. Here is the link to VPRA:

http://vectis-psychogeographical-research.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/solent-sketches.html

and here is the original article after the cut:




I have recently been making a lot of ferry journeys on the Yarmouth-Lymington car ferry route. This is probably the most scenic of the six main ferry routes by which the Island can be accessed. I have had my sketchbook with me on these journeys, and have been rediscovering the simple pleasure of drawing from nature. Here are some of the sketches I have produced, which I might perhaps use as the basis for digital paintings at some point, or perhaps leave to stand on their own.

In Vectis I concentrated very much on the idea of the coast as a boundary, beyond which the whole concept of the Isle of Wight broke down; however, I have since come to see the Island as more connected, with roots and tendrils that extend out into other parts of the South of England. Mapping the exits and entrances of the Island and incorporating them into the broader understanding of the nature of coastline and of 'island-ness' (insularity?) is a key area of enquiry that must be explored further in the future.

Lymington Harbour, Trees, Fog
Graphite Pencil
2013 

 Across to the North Wight, Contrails
Graphite Pencil
2013


Out the West Solent, The Needles and Hurst Castle
Pen and wash, Coffee
2013


North to the Fawley Refinery and Petrochemical Plant, Foreboding Skies
Pen and wash
2013


Sunset in the Fog, Across the New Forest
Graphite pencil
2013

No comments:

Post a Comment